Practical Infos


Oyster cards...

Oyster is a plastic smartcard you can use instead of paper tickets. You can put Travelcards, Bus & Tram season tickets and pay as you go credit on it.
Oyster is the cheapest way to pay for single journeys on bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground and most National Rail services in London.

London Oyster cards can be used on all buses, trams, Tube, DLR and London Overground services, and nearly all National Rail services.
Oyster is an electronic smartcard ticket. Simply touch your card on the yellow reader to get through the Tube gates or board other London public transport services. It doesn't even need to be removed from your purse or wallet to work.
You can register your Oyster card online to benefit from quick and easy renewals and refunds for lost or stolen cards. You can also update your Oyster card at newer ticket machines, thus avoiding queues for ticket offices. A refundable deposit of £5 is required to obtain an Oyster card.
If you're travelling regularly, a London Travelcard or Bus Pass can easily be loaded onto your Oyster. Travelcards and Bus Passes can be purchased for 1 day (Travelcard only), 1 week, 1 month or 1 year's travel. You can combine a Travelcard or Bus Pass with pre-pay Oyster credit to ensure you get the best value for money on your London travel tickets.

Oyster Pay-as-You-Go (Pre-pay Oyster).

Oyster pay-as-you-go cards are charged with an amount of credit of your choice. You can make as many journeys as you like in a 24 hour period (4.30am-4.30am) and you will be charged less than you would pay for a paper ticket.
If you make lots of journeys, the Oyster card will automatically cap the day's charges at the price of an equivalent 1-Day Travelcard(see price guide below).
The aim is to ensure that Oyster always charges the lowest fare. Where it doesn't, you can get a refund.

London Transport Zones and Ticket Prices

The cost of a single journey or multiple-trip Travelcard will depend on which zones you need to travel through.
London is split into 6 zones, with Zones 1 and 2 in Central London and Zone 6 covering the outer edge of the capital. Make sure your Oyster has enough credit, or that you purchase the right ticket to cover your entire journey to avoid a fine.

Off-Peak One-day Travelcard - valid from 9.30am Monday to Friday and all day (12.01am to 4.30am the following day) at weekends and public holidays:
  • Zones 1 and 2 - adult £6.60
  • Zones 1-4 - adult £7.30
  • Zones 1-6 - adult £8.00
  • Zones 1-9 - adult £11.00
Peak One-day Travelcard - valid for travel until 4.30am the following morning:
  • Zones 1 and 2 - adult £8.00
  • Zones 1-4 - adult £10
  • Zones 1-6 - adult £15.00
  • Zones 1-9 - adult £18.60


Bank account

You should start looking for a UK bank before you leave your home country. In most UK banks you should be eligible for a 'basic bank account'. A basic bank account will give you a cash machine card and facilities to transfer money in to your account. If you need other services such as a cheque book, debit card or access to credit then you will need a current account or an account specifically designed for international students.

How do I open an account?

To open a UK bank account you will require the following documentation:
  • Your passport and a valid visa
EU citizens can use their National Identity Card instead of a passport
  • Proof of your address in the UK and probably in your home country as well.
Proof of your UK address will probably be your accommodation contract, but check with the bank beforehand.
The process of opening a bank account in the UK should take around two weeks if you have all the required documents available. Most UK universities will require you to have a bank account before registering for your course (unless you have a bankers draft for the full amount of your fees).

You can contact:

There is a difference between a debit card and credit card or MasterCard/Visa. With the first, your money will be directly debited from your bank account with the second, you are debited on a specific account, that you pay back according to your facilities and in line with the bank (you can receive gift points for its use).
You negotiate an overdraft limit with your bank. If you exceed this limit, a penalty will be applied (about £ 20) you will be liable to a penalty for each payment made above the limit (about £ 20 per transaction) and of course on a interest rates very high (20% / year).



There are 4 main company In United kingdoms: O2, Vodafone, Orange and T-Mobile. You can choose between three different offers:
  • Pay monthly: Most people in Britain pay their monthly line rental by direct debit. Prices depend on the chosen offers but at about £ 20 by month and 15p per additional minutes. But often the company will ask you to reside for more than six months before the country to benefit from these rates (you may be able to negotiate).
  • Pay up Front : These packages include telephone connection, one year subscription paid in advance, and a certain amount of free calls, depending on the choice of fare. The average price is £ 100 per year.
  • Pay as you go : This is the easiest way to get a cell phone because you can just buy it and you charge your phone according to the consumer using a prepaid card or credit card. Calls cost about 10p/minute.



The European Health Insurance Card

The European Health Insurance Card makes it easier for people from the European Union's 27 Member States plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland to access healthcare services during temporary visits abroad.
So, if you are going on holiday, a business trip or a short break or are heading off to study abroad, remember to make sure that you have obtained a card. It will help save you time, hassle and money if you fall ill or suffer an injury while abroad.

What are the practical benefits of the card?

The card ensures that you will get the same access to public sector health care (e.g. a doctor, a pharmacy, a hospital or a health care centre) as nationals of the country you are visiting. If you have to receive medical attention in a country that charges for health care, you will be reimbursed either immediately, or after you go home to your own country. The idea is that you are given the care you need to allow you to continue with your stay.
However, it is important to note that the card does not cover your health care costs while abroad if you are travelling in order to obtain treatment for an illness or injury that you had before travelling. Nor does the card cover you for private sector health care providers

How can I obtain a card?

You can obtain a card by contacting your local health authority as each individual country is responsible for producing and distributing the card in its own territory.

Who can benefit from the card?

To be eligible for a card, you must be insured by or covered by a state social security system in any Member State of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. Each separate member of a family travelling should have their own card. People from third countries who are resident in one of the EU Member States and are covered by a state social security scheme are also eligible for a card . However, please note that third country nationals cannot use their EHIC for medical treatment in Denmark.

What information is on the card?

The only personal information on the European Health Insurance Card is the cardholder's first name and surname, personal identification number and date of birth. The European Health Insurance Card does not contain medical data.

Estate-Student is a company specialized in customised accommodation research in London. We welcome you as soon as you arrive in London and accompanies you to your accommodation in London. Besides, we assure a monitoring during all your stay.